Monday, August 17, 2009

Lessons learned today.....

1. C is fully capable of finishing the entire day of lessons on-line alone and getting 100% on every assessment! Interesting considering that for the past 4 years I have sat down and held his hand and fought and pushed to get him through homework EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! I guess we have found our answer...

He told me today that he could have done that before at school if he hadn't had so many interruptions but when he got interrupted in the middle of writing and then had to go back and finish it later he had to "start his brain over". He even stated that he doesn't think he has any less work than before, just that he can work straight through and not have to distract himself. He is done in about 5 hours at the most without any further work, and that includes pre-reading for tomorrow.

2. Stalactites are not living things. There are 7 characteristics that must be present to be "living" and C got to study them all today, draw this cool picture about it and "teach" it to his learning coach (me)...and he was SOOOO excited about it. It was so fun to see him get excited about something to do with school!

3. The Anasazi Indians farmed on top of mesas above their cliff dwellings and had to climb 100 feet up ladders to reach their fields, that is about 10 stories! That is a long way to climb up ladders.

4. When C volunteers a hug and thanks me for letting him do school this way, it totally makes my day!!!

5. C can peel a cucumber faster than I can! And we peeled, cut and took the seeds out of 20 pounds of cucumbers, ending with about 14 pounds...which are soaking in pickling lime and will be made into cinnamon pickles.


6. Peaches must be RIPE if you plan on canning them, not a little bit green. You don't want to see the mess I made trying to "slip" the skins off of greenish peaches to put them in jars. My canned peaches are NOT pretty. But it is my first canner, only 7 jars, we will eat them and never know the difference. The next ones will be pretty. Oh, and put the syrup in each jar when you finish with them or they change color. Live and learn! That is my life story I think.

No recipe today, I didn't cook dinner and neither did C...this is why we didn't! 7 quarts of peaches, 21 pints of dill pickles, 8 jars of peach jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment