Monday, August 31, 2009

Meet the teacher!

Thursday night we were invited to go to the zoo and meet the teacher with the other local COVA families. I cannot believe how many families have gained the sanity and are "Taking their children back"! The line to get in was all the way around the circular part at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (don't ask me to guess how far it is because I don't estimate distance very well, it was somewhere between 100 feet and half a mile!). We got in line and when we arrived at the front of the line, the line was longer than when we had joined it. I don't know for sure how many people were there but I do know that the main parking lot was full and the overflow had lots of cars in it too.



We were fortunate to get to the teacher area before it was too crowded and got a chance to meet C's teacher. This is a different teacher picture than ever before, since we don't even know how many times we will see the teacher this year but Mrs. W is our contact for everything this year.

The evening was a lot of fun and we did run into a family we had met earlier in the year who is in their first year of COVA as well for their 7th grade daughter. They also have a 4th grade son who is going to continue at a brick and morter school for a couple more years. When we first met S and I were looking at each other with fear in our eyes, wondering if home school was something we could even manage. Tonight when we saw each other we both had the same comment..."can it really be this easy"? She had met C only once, at the tail end of last school year. After being with him only about 20 minutes her comment about him was "I wouldn't have recognized C at all, he is so happy he is almost sparkly"! He even talked to their daughter and had conversations wtih virtual strangers! The change in my quiet little boy is remarkable and other people are noticing it! I couldn't be more happy with the process at this point!

1 comment:

  1. I noticed how happy Connor was on Sunday. :) He seems so much happier and I'm so glad that it's going so well for you. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do when my kids go to school....but I'm leaning more towards home schooling all the time.

    ReplyDelete