Saturday, December 10, 2011

Using more Pork!

I have to start this post off right away with an apology to my Sister-in-law Kelley. She makes these Pork Tacos the REAL way and they are amazing. I can't follow a recipe to save my life....if I could even find the recipe she gave me! So, this is just my version, the best I can remember from her amazing recipe and my own substitutions for things I couldn't remember!
Breakfast was fresh tortillas filled with scrambled eggs and Pico de Gallo. So delicious! I love that sauce, could put it on everything I eat I think!
Lunch was Taco Bell compliments of dad because I had a massage!

Dinner was Pork Tacos. This is probably one of the most time consuming meals I have made in a long time but it was well worth it and actually wasn't even that bad! It is only for the cilantro lover though! If you don't like cilantro you will be miserable eating this meal!  I probably spent a total of 1 hour in the kitchen over this one.

The first part of this recipe that I put together was the sauce so the flavors could really blend well.

Cilantro Lime Jalapeno Ranch Dressing!
1 cup of buttermilk
1 cup of cilantro washed
1/2 jalapeno pepper
Juice of 1 lime
I used the magic bullet to blend this but a stick blender would work too
Add puree to:
1 cup of light mayonnaise
1 cup of light sour cream
3T ranch dressing powdered mix
Blend well

Cilantro Lime Rice with Jalapeno Peppers
2 cups of brown or white rice
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1 small pepper diced fine
4 cups of water
Prepare according to package directions.  I added the lime and cilantro before cooking so they cooked with it but next time I will add them at the very end I think.

Pico De Gallo
I made this the night before and all it has in it is finely chopped onions, Roma tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, jalapenos and a bit of kosher salt.

Beans and Corn
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn
Rinse and drain
1/2 small sweet onion diced
1/2 cup of cilantro
Juice of one lime
Warm over low to medium heat

Pork
All I did was take about 2 cups of pork, squeeze 1 lime over it and heat until it was a little bit browned.  I think there is really supposed to be more stuff on it for flavor but this was good.


Assembly:
One Taco shell
Layer meat, shredded cheese, rice, beans/corn, pico, avocado (or guacamole if you feel really ambitious), lettuce and sauce.  ENJOY!

And again, my apologies to the REAL recipe, but this version was good too!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks good too! My man would like the onions added to the corn and beans and this recipe would be a lot less sweet. While yr brother loves the sweet i do get tired of that much sweet by the time all the leftovers are gone!

    ReplyDelete